When we try to do something for the world, what should our priorities be? Which values should we have? Most of my research deal with these questions. My take so far is that we should be antispeciesist and focus on reducing extreme suffering. I’ve worked especially on suffering-focused ethics, which is an umbrella term for moral views that, in practice, favor a focus on reducing suffering.
My most important writings:
- How Could an Empty World Be Better than a Populated One? Translations: Español, Русский
- Thoughts on Ord’s “Why I’m Not a Negative Utilitarian”
I also work on animal ethics and effective animal advocacy, and the following are my most important such material:
- Reducing Suffering among Invertebrates Such as Insects
- How Good or Bad Is the Life of an Insect?
- How Many Non-human Animals Should There Be? (Recorded talk: audio + slides)